Monday, February 8, 2010

What is Sweet Haven?

So I have decided to jump on the blog bandwagon along with the rest of my family and at the urging of my well meaning husband! I don't consider myself to be that good of a writer, nor do I feel I know how to write interesting things, so we will see where this goes, and for how long....


I thought for my first entry I would tell you what Sweet Haven is... As stated in my "title" It is the name my grandmother gave her home. She has called it such for the last 15 years, but really as long as I can remember. She got the name from the opening song in the movie "Popeye" titled "sweet haven." Here are the lyrics...

Sweet Sweethaven
God must love us
We the people
Love Sweethaven
Hurray hurray Sweethaven
Flags are wavin'
Swept people from the sea
Safe from democracy
Sweeter than a melon tree
Put here for you and me
Sweethaven
Sweet Sweethaven
God must love us
We the people
Of Sweethaven
God must have landed here
Why else would he strand us here
Where the air is nice and clear
Sweethaven even sounds so near
To Heaven
God will always bless Sweethaven
God will always bless Sweethaven
God will always bless Sweethaven

She loved the words of the song, how God loves us and that SweetHaven is so near to Heaven, and that God will always bless SweetHaven. My grandmother has such an awesome spirit about her, and I think this song just summed up how she felt about her home and our Heavenly Father.

Now that I have a family of my own, I hope to build a home that is worthy of the name "Sweethaven." A home that is full of love and peace. A place of refuge for my family from all the bad in the world, where they can always feel safe and close to their Heavenly Father.

I know that Sweethaven can be found anywhere and in anything I desire it to be; but I see it in my mind, and I am not quite there yet.... So with each day I will continue my quest to claim my own Sweethaven.

2 comments:

  1. I will be right there along side you helping you to achieve your goal... Although, having you as my wife and having natalie as our daughter, I think we already have a pretty Sweethaven (Despite how small it is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world. Cute blog and I loved the post.

    ReplyDelete